Next: Use parameterization to
Previous: Maximize composibility.
- Define policies reflecting contexts, styles, and conventions.
- Policies impact many, otherwise unrelated components.
- Conformance to common policies enhances composibility and
eliminates the need for glue code.
- Responsibility for handling preconditions. Alternatives
include those where the component is responsible for handling
bad messages, and where the client is responsible for ensuring
- Actions occuring under failed preconditions. Alternatives
include raising exceptions, setting failure flags, inaction,
and delaying action until the precondition is satisfied.
- Storage management. Alternatives include garbage collection,
reference-counting, split component-client protocols.
- Object generation. Alternatives include random construction,
``factories'' that manage construction of related components,
and centralized services.
- Persistence. Alternatives include reliance on central
databases, use of proxies, and tools.
- Coding standards.
Sat Apr 8 09:58:22 EDT 1995