CSC365 Assignment 1
This assignment asks you to create a data categorization
- The program reads data from one or more sources accessible
with a url, where each data record has some sort of key
associated with some sort of values. Other sources may be OK
(ask first), but a good choice is the
NOAA online climate data service.
(This site also includes helpful usage instructions and
examples). Here keys might be different cities. The values
could be lists of daily snowfall, or temperature, or any
combination of such observations. You pick.
- The user can enter any other possible key, and the program reports
which other known source is most closely related, using a
similarity metric (some possible metrics will be discussed in
The presentation details are up to you. The implementation
- Use java.util.collections for all data structures, except for
a custom hash table class you implement for maintaining keyed
data. Use other existing JDK classes for any other
purposes. Read through
- Use Swing, JavaFX, or Android UI components for the GUI.
For Swing, read through the relevant parts of
- Use Java networking components for accessing web data using
URLs. See the
Java networking with URLs tutorial.
If using XML data
sources, also read
the JAXP tutorial.
Test your program thoroughly before submitting, and arrange a demo within
48 hours of submitting. (Demoing before submitting is strongly encouraged.)