CSC436 -- Summer 2004
Instructor: Doug Lea
Office/Lab hours: Almost anytime.
This is a hands-on course in constructing, managing, and controlling
networked services. During the first month of classes, we'll cover
some of the basics (with the help of online tutorials etc):
The main requirement is to work in teams of two people each on a
semester project. Each team will define and accomplish specific
goals and milestones to create, maintain, or extend a set of
- Installing and configuring systems
- Overview of operating system and middleware services
- System administration
- Finding, installing and using sysadmin tools and related software
- Scripting and systems programming
- Web and enterprise services
Each group will also maintain a project web page, with:
- Links to relevant resources
- Links to work products: sources, documents, etc
- Work schedules
Most classes will consist of presentations of two kinds:
Most work occurs outside of class. Class times will be minimized to
help accommodate this. Plan to average about 10 hours per week.
Choose teams with compatible schedules.
- Project status reports (every group, every week)
Final week is final project demo.
- Mini-tutorials (One per student per semester)
Teaching others about things you've learned in project.
There are no required texts. You may end up buying one or more books
pertaining to your project, but most of the useful resources for this
course are available on the web.
Grades will be based on individual contributions to projects and